[Asterisk-Users] civil emergency comms: Asterisk + HAM

C. Hatton Humphrey chumphrey at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 18:22:55 MST 2005

> I think the biggest thing that hurts ham radio's ability to react to a
> crisis is the lack of equipment and operators.  Most of the traffic we pass
> is "Health and Welfare" with "Logistics" being the second to it.

You might be interested to take a listen to the latest ARRL News -
they give a count of Priority traffic messages passed for Katrina...

http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/audio/

The site is ARRL and it's their "ARRL Letter" feed to be presented on
repeaters.  The ARES response to Katrina articles have the info I'm
referring to.

Sorry for the OT addition to the thread but I find it worth
mentioning.  Also, for my two cents I'll toss in that the first thing
I thought of when someone mentioned using Asterisk with Ham was to get
a Laptop with a WiFi connection, Asterisk and a radio interface on
scene to provide comm links.

73 de NY5I
Hatton Humphrey