[Asterisk-Users] vm notif

Curt Moore tgrman21 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 02:07:13 MST 2005

To answer your question, no, not easily. The way that the Asterisk voicemail
system is architected, it looks at ths SIP registration, I'm assuming the
Cisco phone is using SIP, and will send the appropriate NOTIFY messages to
the SIP account as specified in the mailbox field for the user as specified
in sip.conf. Since the phone is registered to Asterisk A instead of Asterisk
B, the voicemail system on Asterisk B does not see the phone as being
registered and consequently does not see the need to send a NOTIFY, let
alone where to send the NOTIFY.

A solution to this would be to mount the voicemail directory from Asterisk B
to Asterisk A via some networked filesystem, such as NFS. This would allow
Asterisk A to have access to both the registration information and the
voicemail files, therefore allowing Asterisk A to know that there are
voicemail messages and consequently send the appropriate messages to the
phone.

There are many things which become much more difficult as you try to scale
past 1 Asterisk server. Much of this stems from the fact that, from its
inception, Asterisk was never designed or meant to be a clustered softswitch
but instead to be an office type PBX. That being said, much work has been
done recently in order to make Asterisk more friendly to being scaled past 1
server and can be made to do this quite well with some knowledge of the
underlying protocols and networking infastructure functions.

-C