[Asterisk-Users] Huge Echo

canuck15 canuck15 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 9 15:38:05 MST 2005

Impedance is still impedance.  I am not sure how the telco world thinks
about it.  Based on basic circuit theory, impedance is the combination of
resistance and reactance (effective resistance to ac) at some frequency or
frequencies.  Collectively it is called impedance.  Long lengths of copper
will have some resistance but it should be very close to zero relative to
the ac component.

You are simply trying to match the impedance of the source (the Telco CO).
This allows the maximum amount of signal transfer.  If there is a slight
mismatch then some of that signal will be reflected back.  Practically,
there will always be some tiny bit of resistance in the copper and the ac
impedance will vary by frequency so you will never get a perfect match.