[Asterisk-Users] "Registered SIP '202' ... expires 1800". Why does it expire

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Sep 9 10:10:41 MST 2005

Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> SIP phones need to re-register every once in a while to tell the server
> where it can be reached. If you have a soft phone on a laptop that you
> move from network to network - home, office, airport, Barnes & Noble etc
> - you want to be reached on the IP address you use there. SIP
> registration keeps the server up-to-date with your hectic life :-)

Which is kinda annoying because grandstreams (at least 1.0.5.23 firmware
anyway) don't do that...  I have to powercycle the one on my desk once
an hour if I want it to ring on incoming calls otherwise asterisk
'forgets' about it (the cisco in the other room seems to be fine).

I'd love an option to work around that...

Tony