[Asterisk-Users] civil emergency comms: Asterisk + HAM

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 9 07:26:09 MST 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 01:46:57PM +0100, Peter Bowyer wrote:
> On 09/09/05, Mike M <no-linux-support at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > > That's a very interesting idea.
> >
> > I've initiated a request to join my local amateur radio yahoo group.
> > I'm going to see if I can enlist help to demonstrate this idea.
>
> The concept of combining VoIP and ham radio is by no means new - there
> are many skype-a-like systems around which are used as links or user
> access to the existing ham repeater network. I don't know of any using
> Asterisk, though.

I think this architecture has value:

PSTN---asterisk---voip---radio===+==radio--voip--asterisk---POTS
                                 +==radio--voip--asterisk---POTS
                                 +==radio--voip--asterisk---POTS

and this too:

voip svc prvdr----voip---radio===+==radio--voip--asterisk---POTS
                                 +==radio--voip--asterisk---POTS
                                 +==radio--voip--asterisk---POTS

POTS at the emergency end is good because it's familiar, simple, cheap,
and runs on a central power source.  I don't know radio equipment so I
don't know if the upstream radio can multiplex streams onto different
frequencies.

--
Mike