[Asterisk-Users] Occasional quiet voicemails

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Sep 7 12:41:06 MST 2005

I don't believe 2023 has anything to do with the 411P; it was basically
an digium analog card issue (eg, TDM04b & x100p).

Based on my tests and findings, the issue is the digium cards record
voicemail messages at a very low audio level (very different from
recording a voicemail from a sip phone). "If" the person leaving a VM
message called in via the digium card, and that user was located close
to "their" central office, the VM level is acceptable to poor. But, if
that same person is further from their central office (adding additional
transmission path loss), then that loss plus the digium analog card loss
makes the VM difficult if not impossible to hear.

So, thinking that statement through very carefully, you might have some
users complain and other not, and the problem will not track against
anything that you have control over (eg, where the remote user is calling
from and the transmission loss they incur).

If the digium analog cards passed audio through without any additional
loss, your user's probably would not be complaining. But that extra loss
is what I believe "is" the issue.

Sounds like there might be a workaround coming for this.

Rich