[Asterisk-Users] zaptel init script

Christian Richter christian.richter at beronet.com
Wed Sep 7 02:09:19 MST 2005

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 09:32:58AM +0200, Christian Richter wrote:
>

>>Hi List,
>>
>>we've made a litle script which is called /etc/init.d/zaptel. It scans
>>the pci bus and creates by request a /etc/zaptel.conf and a
>>/etc/asterisk/zapata.conf.
>>
>>Also it loads the modules automagically.
>>
>>If there are volunteers who want to try this out (it'll make first setup
>>of an asterisk with digium cards easier) just grab it at:
>>
>>www.beronet.com/downloads/zaptel-init.tar.gz
>>
>>and type make install after unpacking.
>>
>>Good Luck ;)
>>

>Are you aware of http://tzafrir.org.il/genzaptelconf ?

No i wasn't.

>That script is intended for one-time discovery. The current zaptel init.d
>script in Xorcom Rapid is much simpler and has very little discovery:
>if no zaptel card module was loaded, it will load ztdummy.
>
>And who is expected to actually load a card driver at boot time? Well,
>the system has all that information and it is the job of the hotplug
>script to extract it and load the relevant modules. So far it has done
>that very well.
>
>My aproach in the script was different: parse information in
>/proc/zaptel/ . Though I admit that the end result is an over-grown bash
>script . The atvantage is that it is easy to debug: /proc/zaptel/n only
>exsits if the module was loaded. I don't have to hope which card belongs
>to which span because I look at spans directly.
>
>There are some things I was not so happy with in my script. The defaults
>for ISDN switch types (both BRI and PRI) are probably not good enough.
>And there is no reasonable way to get decent per-channel or per-span
>configuration into the auto-generated parts of zapata.conf .

I see. I had a short look over your script and found it makes nearly the
same thing like /etc/init.d/zaptel. But our approach is only to generate
a default zaptel.conf and zapata.conf without any extensions, trunk and
phones stuff.

But thanks for this info we hadn't loaded ztdummy if no card was
available, now we're doing it also ;)

Greets,

crich