[Asterisk-Users] civil emergency comms: Asterisk + HAM

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 6 08:27:56 MST 2005

The disaster in the Gulf coast and the less than optimal initial
response suggests to me that citizens must shoulder more responsibility
for emergency management.  Communications loss must have played a large
role in the failures that occurred.  I can't help but wonder if there
are fewer ham radio operators today and that if there were more, maybe
they could make a difference in future emergency situations.

Imagine what a network of systems composed of Asterisk, ham radio, wifi,
generators, batteries, and a reserve of fuel could have done for the
Gulf coast.  I have all of the components above except the ham radio.

I suspect there are some folks on this list that have already
implemented such a system.  If so, I would like to read about what they
have done so I can develop a plan to participate in this network if one
exists.

There's not much on google for "asterisk ham".

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hamlib/
http://www.radioadv.com/default.htm

Thanks,
--