[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk overheating on VIA Epia M Series motherboard

Angus Comber angus at iteloffice.com
Mon Sep 5 13:52:22 MST 2005

Hello

I am running Asterisk on SUSE Linux Professional 9.3 on a VIA Epia M Series
motherboard - CPU runs at 1GHz.  There is no fan - just a large heatsink.
Currently system is running off standard IDE hard drive - because I couldn't
get astlinux to run with my Digium TDM04B card (only PCI card in system).

Strangely I also have the same system also running SUSE Linux running as a
file server and that does not run so hot and does not overheat?  Why the
difference?

Just booting up both systems for 15 minutes you can tell the Asterisk box is
quite a bit hotter.  Also the Asterisk box overheated (well think that was
the problem) and stopped operating as PBX at one stage.

Anyone any experience of this sort of thing?  any ideas how to fix - ideally
I don't want to have to fit a fan.

Is SUSE not the best distro to use for this sort of thing?  Should it be
something to take up with VIA?

Angus