[Asterisk-Users] Distortion/crackling/skipping problems on outgoing calls -- please help!!!

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Sep 4 19:16:24 MST 2005

> Perhaps I read that wrong, as the different filters don't seem to show
> those packets as lost or jittered. Plus, this crackle happens fairly
> often, so I don't know if it's any indication of dropped packets (or the
> root of the problem, at least), but then again, I'm not sure. I will try
> taking another sample.

Send me a copy of an ethereal trace off list and I'll take a look at
it. When you do that, let me know what IP address is what in that
trace so I have some clue what I'm looking at.

> Would you then suggest that I should upgrade to a later version? Which
> one? 1.0.9? Or are even the BETAs (1.2.x) usable?

I'm not sure what the latest stable version is since I don't pay much
attention to it. I stay with the cvs head keeping a backup copy of the
previous working code on my system in case I have issues with whatever
I check out. If v1.0.9 is the latest stable, then use it.

You have kind of skipped over exactly what "my computer" happens to be.
Specifically, tell us what O/S, what software are you running on that
system that is communicating with iax2, etc.

Also, when you refer to your Asterisk system, is that system on your
local network or located somewhere else?

> It could be a big transformer that's near the Ethernet card, but I
> believe my strip is now a pretty standard distance away from my Ethernet
> card; I measured it, and it's roughly 16 inches from the Ethernet card
> itself. It doesn't seem like it will that much farther, but is that too
> close?

If external electrical noise from a transformer is impacting your
ethernet cable, it would impact your music and other things as much
as it would iax2. So that's probably not an issue. Power strips by
themselves do not generate electrical noise, so that's a non-issue
anyway.

> BTW, just to reassure you all that my ethernet is fine, here are the
> results of an extremely fast (ping -i 0.0005) ping to the asterisk server:
>
> --- 192.168.2.7 ping statistics ---
> 10758 packets transmitted, 10758 received, 0% packet loss, time 28976ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.106/0.118/10.779/0.105 ms, pipe 2, ipg/ewma
> 2.693/0.118 ms
>
> i don't think my ethernet is flawed at all. i did several of those
> tests, by the way.

Okay, send me a reasonable ethereal trace and I'll take a look at it.

Rich