[Asterisk-Users] Distortion/crackling/skipping problems on outgoing calls -- please help!!!

Robert Geller robert at worksofmagic.com
Sat Sep 3 21:21:03 MST 2005

Robert Geller wrote:

> Rich Adamson wrote:
>

>>> Thank you very much for your response. I do acknowledge that my
>>> of, but it was mainly because I wasn't/am not familiar with the
>>> Asterisk CLI and troubleshooting Asterisk problems, so I apologize
>>> for that.
>>>
>>> I did get the idea early this morning to try to analyze packets with
>>> ethereal, and I captured packets when I was made an internal IAX
>>> call to the Asterisk system (voicemail). I don't really know what to
>>> look for, but I will learn (again, I'm not very familiar with
>>> ethereal). Do you hapeople say ve any suggestions for filters to
>>> use, to evaluate possible packet loss or resending of data?
>>>

>> An important item to look at in each packet is the timestamp. In sip
>> packets, the timestamp should be increasing by 160 for each conseq pkt.
>> In iax packets, the timestamp should be increasing by 20 for each pkt.
>>
>> So if you see a timestamp of 3290 in one pkt and 3310 in the next (a
>> diff
>> of 20), that's good. Notice the increasing timestamp value and the diff.
>> If pkt 3310 arrives before 3290, then something in the network is
>> delaying
>> the delivery of packets so as to cause them to not arrive in the proper
>> order.
>>
>> If there are missing packets, then you'll see timestamps jumping by 40,
>> 60, 80 or some other value (diff) for iax packets, or, similar for sip
>> packets.
>>

>>> Regarding the command that you suggested in the CLI, iax2 show
>>> netstats, it doesn't recognize that command or anything similar, and
>>> 'help' doesn't return anything similar that I can see (I'm using
>>> 1.0.7 if that helps).
>>>

>> Since 1.0.7 is rather old (in the scheme of things), I'd suggest you
>> install something newer to play with. There has been a ton of stuff
>> that has changed since 1.0.7, but I don't recall if those changes would
>> have anything to do with your problem. (I use nothing but cvs head, but
>> I kind of keep an eye on how many changes are happening (and for what
>> reason), and upgrade when the number of problems seem to be at a low.
>> The 'iax2 show netstats' would have been added in a later version.
>>

>>> At this point, I'm thinking that it could be a matter of bad cabling
>>> or something. The Cat5 cable that's running the 8 or so feet from my
>>> PC to my router is homemade by me, and many people do report
>>> problems with homemade cables. I may not have made it exactly right,
>>> or the untwisted segment may be longer than 1/2", which supposedly
>>> causes distortion and interference. Perhaps I ought to run out and
>>> buy a couple factory-made cables to test the difference, if any,
>>> between them.
>>>

>> Replacing the cable would probably be a good start since they are
>> relatively cheap. Go buy a new one so there's no question about its
>> quality. Also, keep the cable at least a little distance away from
> [...]
I modprobe -r'ed prism54, the wireless kernel modules for my card, and
here's what /proc/interrupts looks like:

robert at linux:~/torrents$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:   81981003    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:      49755    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
  7:          2    IO-APIC-edge  parport0
  8:          1    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
  9:          0   IO-APIC-level  acpi
 12:     499429    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
 14:     224679    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 15:     900392    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
169:          0   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd
177:      67917   IO-APIC-level  Intel 82801BA-ICH2
185:          0   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd
193:          2   IO-APIC-level  ohci1394
201:    2020679   IO-APIC-level  eth0
NMI:          0
LOC:   81991943
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

Well, eth2 isn't even on there, let alone being shared with that Intel
device. Still, however, the softphone sounds just as bad. Who would have
thought it was a coincidence that there was IRQ sharing/conflicts going
on, yet that isn't the soure of my problem?

I'm stumped. I even tried moving the power/surge strip farther away from
the computer, but it can't be too far away, about 18 inches-2 feet now.

So, 1) there doesn't *seem* to be any packet loss or incorrect packet
sending, 2) there are no more IRQ conflicts, and 3) I even tried moving
my power strip away from the PC. What gives?