[Asterisk-Users] Linux-HA Heartbeat2 and Asterisk

Geoff Karl geoff.karl at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 11:49:40 MST 2005

On 9/2/05, Matt Riddell <matt.riddell at sineapps.com> wrote:
> Geoff Karl wrote:
> > The new version of heartbeat (http://linux-ha.org/GettingStartedV2)
> > supports up to 16nodes.  I was wondering if anyone has tried it with
> > Asterisk.
> >
> > The biggest hurdle would be to configure multiple instances of
> > Asterisk on the same box.  Anyone configure more than one copy of
> > asterisk on the same machine?  Each instance would need their own set
> > of configuration files.  This would be a VOIP only box with a zaptel
> > interface for timing.
>
> Um...doesn't running the multiple copies on the same machine kinda make the
> aim of redundancy redundant?
>
> :)
>
> Use different contexts if you want to split by companies, then failover to
> other PCs if you have hardware/network problems.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Matt Riddell

When you are building out a HA clustering solution you "fail-over" an
instance to a another machine (node).  You also tie a virtual IP
address to the asterisk instance.  Pretty much everything moves from
one machine to another.

Lots of times people design a system like
Active/Active/Active/Passive; where the Active nodes are running an
instance of Asterisk and you have a Passive node to accept any other
failed nodes instance.

This means that Passive nodes needs to be able to run any Asterisk instance.

Really what you are protecting here is hardware failure and file
system issues.

If you had an Active/Passive design you could run different version of
Asterisk.  This would allow you to try out a new version and if it
failed you could easily switch back to the "working" version.

Geoff