[Asterisk-Users] Distortion/crackling/skipping problems on outgoing calls -- please help!!!

Robert Geller robert at worksofmagic.com
Sat Sep 3 10:45:32 MST 2005

Rich Adamson wrote:

>>So, can no one give me any suggestions? Perhaps I can elaborate upon
>>further testing and attempts to debug this tremendously frustrating problem.
>>
>>My softphone (typically IAXComm, but same results connecting via SIP on
>>Xten Xlite)  is installed on a P4 1.6 w/ 256 megs of RAM and an
>>integrated sound chipset (Intel/AC97). I've had some problems with this
>>chipset in Linux, and it doesn't support hardware mixing, so I've had to
>>attempt to get dmix and ALSA running in an acceptable fashion; needless
>>to say, I still have problems, and I don't know if this is related.
>>
>>I can record and playback my own voice and other audio (podcasts, Net
>>radio, and music) fine with this headset (some cheap, Chinese $15
>>headset). However, when it comes to receiving decoded audio on the other
>>end of a VoIP conversation, it sounds "scratchy," distorted, crackly,
>>whatever you want to call it. It's not the clarity so much as it is the
>>other things I just mentioned. It's very hard ot put into words, but I'm
>>hoping *someone* can associate with my problem.
>>
>>To make sure it wasn't my Asterisk box that was mucking things up, I
>>connected directly with my softphone to my outgoing VoIP terminators,
>>voipjet and Voxee. Sure enough, it sounded *exactly* the same as it does
>>going through my * box on the LAN and then out through the public Net to
>>voipjet and/or Voxee. Thus, I know it is my side of the equation that is
>>mucking things up, but I cannot for the life of me pinpoint exactly
>>*WHERE* this is taking place.
>>
>>Actually, I also unplugged my headphones and plugged back in the
>>speakers, and it sounded roughly the same, but it's harder to tell
>>because they're not surrounding your ears, quality isn't as clear, and
>>ambient noise can be more easily heard and is distracting.
>>
>>I'm thinking, at this point, that it's my sound card that's messing
>>things up, or its configuration or something. However, can anyone
>>explain *why* non-VoIP-conversations sound perfect on my speakers and
>>headset, while VoIP calls sound very bad?
>>

>If I were to try to diagnose the above, I'd be using Ethereal to
>capture the voip packets coming from your itsp's, and analyzing
>that captured data to look for unusual things.
>
>If your itsp connections are sip based, ethereal has a utility to
>analyze/summarize some of this for you. If those connections are iax
>based, then you will need to analyze the packets yourself looking
>for unusual things.
>
>Analyzing the packets (either sip or iax) can consume a lot of time,
>but you really need to ensure those packets are arriving in a consistent
>manner, timestamps contained within the packets are consecutive and
>proper, packets are not arriving out of order, etc. At the same time
>that you're capturing those packets, use the facilities within asterisk
>to summarize what it thinks is going on (eg, 'iax2 show netstats'),
>so _that_ data can be correlated to the info derived from the packet
> [...]
Thank you very much for your response. I do acknowledge that my previous
posts did not contain much technical information to speak of, but it was
mainly because I wasn't/am not familiar with the Asterisk CLI and
troubleshooting Asterisk problems, so I apologize for that.

I did get the idea early this morning to try to analyze packets with
ethereal, and I captured packets when I was made an internal IAX call to
the Asterisk system (voicemail). I don't really know what to look for,
but I will learn (again, I'm not very familiar with ethereal). Do you
hapeople say ve any suggestions for filters to use, to evaluate possible
packet loss or resending of data?

Regarding the command that you suggested in the CLI, iax2 show netstats,
it doesn't recognize that command or anything similar, and 'help'
doesn't return anything similar that I can see (I'm using 1.0.7 if that
helps).

At this point, I'm thinking that it could be a matter of bad cabling or
something. The Cat5 cable that's running the 8 or so feet from my PC to
my router is homemade by me, and many people do report problems with
homemade cables. I may not have made it exactly right, or the untwisted
segment may be longer than 1/2", which supposedly causes distortion and
interference. Perhaps I ought to run out and buy a couple factory-made
cables to test the difference, if any, between them.

Regards,
Robert Geller