[Asterisk-Users] Current status on _outgoing_ Swedish/Dutch DTMF CLIP for TDM400 FXS interfaces?

Werner Johansson wj at xnk.nu
Sat Sep 3 08:05:14 MST 2005

Hi all,

I have been looking at the code for both the zaptel driver (wctdm.c/wcfxs.c)
and the asterisk channel driver (chan_zap.c) trying to figure out how much
of this that has been implemented. So far I can see that the current stable
1.0.9.1 zaptel driver don't have the SETPOLARITY ioctl that would be
required to properly signal the Swedish/Dutch CLIP, but the 1.2 beta1 has
this support..

Moving forward from that I then look at the 1.2 beta1 chan_zap code, but
nothing's in there could possibly give us any DTMF tones. I have seen some
bugs being posted and closed (particulary this one:
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=3866). After a bit of experimenting with
that code and the fxstest.c code supplied with zaptel I have something that
actually reverses the polarity of the idle line, waits, sends the digits,
waits again and reverses polarity back to normal - this results in fully
working CallerID using my stand-alone CID display and a Gigaset4010 DECT
phone which unfortunately doesn't understand FSK CLIP/CNIP. I have also
checked the signal with my scope and it looks just like my landline CLIP
procedure (and working equally well.. :))

The code is provided at the end of this mail. After browsing the 1.2beta1
release I also downloaded the latest bleeding edge cvs and verified that
these parts of the code looked exactly like 1.2beta1.

There are a few questions I have though:

Why do I have to continuously set the ProSLIC register 64 to 6 (active
reverse transmission) to get the tones onto the line if I'm onhook? Only
doing it once just after reverse polarity ioctl doesn't do the trick... The
idea with SETPOLARITY in addition with going OFFHOOK with ZT_HOOK should be
the same, right? It works if I take the phone offhook though, then I can
hear the tones even without having to force the register to 6. Next question
would be if there's a better way to know that the "dialing" is complete,
especially if this is to be embedded into the chan_zap code, it would be
nice to have a cleaner solution?

Is this something for the dev list as well, I guess there's some interest in
getting this to work in the stock Asterisk code, even though we're not that
many people requiring this as it seems..? Should I reopen the bug?

I'm thankful for any input in this matter..

Regards,
Werner

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include "zaptel.h"
#include "tonezone.h"
#include "wctdm.h"

static int tones[] = {
        ZT_TONE_DIALTONE,
        ZT_TONE_BUSY,
        ZT_TONE_RINGTONE,
        ZT_TONE_CONGESTION,
        ZT_TONE_DIALRECALL,
};

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
        ZT_DIAL_OPERATION dop;
        struct wctdm_regop regop;
        struct zt_dialparams dps;

        int fd,ctlfd,toneduration;
        int res;
        int x;
        if (argc < 3) {
                fprintf(stderr, "Usage: fxstest <zap device> <cmd>\n"
                       "       where cmd is one of:\n"
                       "       stats - reports voltages\n"
                       "       regdump - dumps ProSLIC registers\n"
                       "       tones - plays a series of tones\n"
                       "       polarity - tests polarity reversal\n"
                       "       ring - rings phone\n");
                exit(1);
        }

// Code added by wj at xnk.nu to set the default tone length to shorten the
time it takes to transmit DTMF CLIP
//  25ms is enough for me but according to specs 40 _should_ be understood
as a valid digit, YMMV.
        ctlfd = open("/dev/zap/ctl", O_RDWR);
        if (ctlfd == -1) {
                fprintf(stderr,"Couldn't open zapctl!\n");
        }

        toneduration = 40;
        if (toneduration > -1) {
                dps.dtmf_tonelen = dps.mfv1_tonelen = toneduration;
                res = ioctl(ctlfd, ZT_SET_DIALPARAMS, &dps);
                if (res < 0) {
                        fprintf(stderr,"Couldn't dialparms!\n");
                }
        }
        close(ctlfd);
// End of code added - wj at xnk.nu

        fd = open(argv[1], O_RDWR);
        if (fd < 0) {
                fprintf(stderr, "Unable to open %s: %s\n", argv[1],
strerror(errno));
                exit(1);
        }
        if (!strcasecmp(argv[2], "ring")) {
                fprintf(stderr, "Ringing phone...\n");
                x = ZT_RING;
                res = ioctl(fd, ZT_HOOK, &x);
                if (res) {
                        fprintf(stderr, "Unable to ring phone...\n");
                } else {
                        fprintf(stderr, "Phone is ringing...\n");
                        sleep(2);
                }
        } else if (!strcasecmp(argv[2], "polarity")) {
// Code modified by wj at xnk.nu to not only reverse polarity but also send an
example DTMF CLIP
                fprintf(stderr, "Sending DTMF CLIP...\n");

                x = 1;
                res=ioctl(fd, ZT_SETPOLARITY, &x);
                if (res) {
                        fprintf(stderr, "Unable to set reverse
polarity...\n");
                }
                x = ZT_OFFHOOK;
                res=ioctl(fd, ZT_HOOK, &x);
                if (res) {
                        fprintf(stderr, "Unable to go offhook...\n");
                }
                fprintf(stderr, "Polarity should be reversed now...\n");

                dop.op = ZT_DIAL_OP_REPLACE;
//              if (ast->cid.cid_num) {
                        snprintf(dop.dialstr, sizeof(dop.dialstr),
"TwD1234567890CC");
//              } else {
//                      snprintf(p->dop.dialstr, sizeof(p->dop.dialstr),
"TB00Cw");
//              }
                if (ioctl(fd, ZT_DIAL, &dop)) {
                        x = ZT_ONHOOK;
                        ioctl(fd, ZT_HOOK, &x);
                        fprintf(stderr, "Bad status from DIAL!\n");
                }

                fprintf(stderr, "Waiting for dial completion...\n");

                x=1;
                while(x!=0) {
                        // This sets the line in reverse mode with audio
transmission!
                        regop.reg=64;
                        regop.val=6;
                        res = ioctl(fd, WCTDM_SET_REG, &regop);

                        ioctl(fd,ZT_DIALING,&x);
                }

                dop.dialstr[0] = '\0';

                regop.reg=64;
                regop.val=5;
                res = ioctl(fd, WCTDM_SET_REG, &regop);

                x = 0;
                res=ioctl(fd, ZT_SETPOLARITY, &x);
                if (res) {
                        fprintf(stderr, "Unable to set normal
polarity...\n");
                }
                fprintf(stderr, "Polarity should be forward...\n");
                // After this normal ringing can commence
// End of modified polarity example - wj at xnk.nu
        } else if (!strcasecmp(argv[2], "tones")) {
                int x = 0;
                x = ZT_OFFHOOK;
                res = ioctl(fd, ZT_HOOK, &x);
                for (;;) {
                        res = tone_zone_play_tone(fd, tones[x]);
                        if (res)
                                fprintf(stderr, "Unable to play tone %d\n",
tones[x]);
                        sleep(3);
                        x=(x+1) % (sizeof(tones) / sizeof(tones[0]));
                }
        } else if (!strcasecmp(argv[2], "stats")) {
                struct wctdm_stats stats;
                res = ioctl(fd, WCTDM_GET_STATS, &stats);
                if (res) {
                        fprintf(stderr, "Unable to get stats on channel
%s\n", argv[1]);
                } else {
                        printf("TIP: %7.4f Volts\n", (float)stats.tipvolt /
1000.0);
                        printf("RING: %7.4f Volts\n", (float)stats.ringvolt
/ 1000.0);
                        printf("VBAT: %7.4f Volts\n", (float)stats.batvolt /
1000.0);
                }
        } else if (!strcasecmp(argv[2], "regdump")) {
                struct wctdm_regs regs;
                int numregs = NUM_REGS;
                memset(&regs, 0, sizeof(regs));
                res = ioctl(fd, WCTDM_GET_REGS, &regs);
                if (res) {
                        fprintf(stderr, "Unable to get registers on channel
%s\n", argv[1]);
                } else {
                        for (x=60;x<NUM_REGS;x++) {
                                if (regs.direct[x])
                                        break;
                        }
                        if (x == NUM_REGS)
                                numregs = 60;
                        printf("Direct registers: \n");
                        for (x=0;x<numregs;x++) {
                                printf("%3d. %02x  ", x, regs.direct[x]);
                                if ((x % 8) == 7)
                                        printf("\n");
                        }
                        if (numregs == NUM_REGS) {
                                printf("\n\nIndirect registers: \n");
                                for (x=0;x<NUM_INDIRECT_REGS;x++) {
                                        printf("%3d. %04x  ", x,
regs.indirect[x]);
                                        if ((x % 6) == 5)
                                                printf("\n");
                                }
                        }
                        printf("\n\n");
                }
        } else if (!strcasecmp(argv[2], "setdirect") ||
                                !strcasecmp(argv[2], "setindirect")) {
                struct wctdm_regop regop;
                int val;
                int reg;
                if ((argc < 5) || (sscanf(argv[3], "%i", &reg) != 1) ||
                        (sscanf(argv[4], "%i", &val) != 1)) {
                        fprintf(stderr, "Need a register and value...\n");
                } else {
                        regop.reg = reg;
                        regop.val = val;
                        if (!strcasecmp(argv[2], "setindirect")) {
                                regop.indirect = 1;
                                regop.val &= 0xff;
                        } else {
                                regop.indirect = 0;
                        }
                        res = ioctl(fd, WCTDM_SET_REG, &regop);
                        if (res)
                                fprintf(stderr, "Unable to get registers on
channel %s\n", argv[1]);
                        else
                                printf("Success.\n");
                }