[Asterisk-Users] Sipura 3000 setup

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Sep 3 07:24:42 MST 2005

> Can anybody show me a working Sipura 3000 setup please?
>
> I need to setup one to my * box, ...
> What are the variants you can setup? Advantage - disadvantage.

Have you looked at or tried the setup wizard on www.voxilla.com?

Having used the spa3k for about a year, I can tell you there is
more functionality and flexibility in that tiny box then what the
average ata or sip phone has, and understanding how to take advantage
of that functionality has a rather steep learning curve. The more
one digs into and plays with it, the more one finds in terms of
additional functions. Any attempt to summarize those variants for
you would be very incomplete.

I'd consider the polycom phones as one of the best on the market
in terms of quality and configuration flexibility. I'd suggest the
spa3k's audio quality is less then a polycom, but its configuration
flexibility ranks right up there (if not higher) then a polycom.

Its too bad that sipura is targeting the box mostly to itsp's as
they do have more documents (eg, administrators guide) that is very
useful and rather easy to read with lots of feature examples.
Unfortunately, the guide says "Any unauthorized disclosure, copying,
distribtuion, or use of this information is prohibited."

Personally, I'm using the spa3k as a household box configured to:
 - minimize the need for spouse remedial training ;)
 - fxs line registered with asterisk
 - fxo line registered with asterisk
 - incoming pstn-fxo calls ring-thru to the fxs without * involvement
   (I'm not concerned whether asterisk is up/down, etc)
 - all outgoing fxs calls default to using the pstn-fxo unless the
   called number is prefixed with an "8"
 - if the outgoing fxs call is prefixed with an "8", the spa3k
   dialplan stips the "8" and forwards the call to asterisk. Asterisk's
   dialplan then handles whatever is dialed.
 - asterisk calls destined for the spa3k fxs port use distinctive
   ringing, therefore all incoming itsp or asterisk originated calls
   ring all household phones with two short rings
 - asterisk calls destined for the spa3k fxo port are totally
   functional, allowing asterisk full access to the pstn network
 - E911 (etc) calls from the fxs phones are routed directly to the
   pstn-fxo port, therefore I'm not at all concerned with FCC and
   other US regulatory voip rulings

The above can be replicated via the voxilla setup wizard, and tweeking
done to the box after that.

I've not played with the spa3k custom calling features at all, so no
knowledge/experience as to what it actually supports, etc. There
appears to be a ton of functionality there, just haven't paid any
attention to that so far.

The only limitations I've observed thus far include things like:
 - g729 use is limited to one sip session
 - v3.1.5 firmware has a serious echo issue; v3.1.3 code seems to be
   the best that sipura has produced in terms of audio quality,
   functionality, and bug fixes to date
 - some spa3k configuration options require a reboot that are not
   documented anywhere that I could find, therefore a power cycle
   is always included in my changes