[Asterisk-Users] Distortion/crackling/skipping problems on outgoing calls -- please help!!!

Robert Geller robert at worksofmagic.com
Fri Sep 2 12:07:00 MST 2005

So, can no one give me any suggestions? Perhaps I can elaborate upon
further testing and attempts to debug this tremendously frustrating problem.

My softphone (typically IAXComm, but same results connecting via SIP on
Xten Xlite)  is installed on a P4 1.6 w/ 256 megs of RAM and an
integrated sound chipset (Intel/AC97). I've had some problems with this
chipset in Linux, and it doesn't support hardware mixing, so I've had to
attempt to get dmix and ALSA running in an acceptable fashion; needless
to say, I still have problems, and I don't know if this is related.

I can record and playback my own voice and other audio (podcasts, Net
radio, and music) fine with this headset (some cheap, Chinese $15
headset). However, when it comes to receiving decoded audio on the other
end of a VoIP conversation, it sounds "scratchy," distorted, crackly,
whatever you want to call it. It's not the clarity so much as it is the
other things I just mentioned. It's very hard ot put into words, but I'm
hoping *someone* can associate with my problem.

To make sure it wasn't my Asterisk box that was mucking things up, I
connected directly with my softphone to my outgoing VoIP terminators,
voipjet and Voxee. Sure enough, it sounded *exactly* the same as it does
going through my * box on the LAN and then out through the public Net to
voipjet and/or Voxee. Thus, I know it is my side of the equation that is
mucking things up, but I cannot for the life of me pinpoint exactly
*WHERE* this is taking place.

Actually, I also unplugged my headphones and plugged back in the
speakers, and it sounded roughly the same, but it's harder to tell
because they're not surrounding your ears, quality isn't as clear, and
ambient noise can be more easily heard and is distracting.

I'm thinking, at this point, that it's my sound card that's messing
things up, or its configuration or something. However, can anyone
explain *why* non-VoIP-conversations sound perfect on my speakers and
headset, while VoIP calls sound very bad?

Or, am I totally overreacting, should I expect this as the standard for
softphone calls with VoIP, and should I just get a hardphone and stop
worrying about it? However, the geek in me really wants to pinpoint the
source of this problem!

Please help, all, as this problem is occupying me for days on end and I
can't get anything else done. :-) I really want to figure out why I hear
scratchiness, skipping, and general lack of clarity on the other side.
*Please note that I can call in to my PSTN number on the Asterisk system
and hear the demo (Allison) pretty much perfectly, so it's definitely
not an Asterisk problem!*

Regards,
Robert Geller