[Asterisk-Users] Receptionist

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Fri Sep 2 11:39:58 MST 2005

I can give you my experience: It was a hard hurdle to gain acceptance of
Asterisk in my office (6 companies) simply because a receptionist position
is a weak point in Asterisk. Old time receptionists used to Meridians hate
learning anything new, even FOP is not acceptable. However, what *did* work
and what my users love, is DID's. We now give a user a DID number and a DID
fax number that those numbers will now follow them around for the term of
their employment. Here's how we set it up:

1. Assign DID to user
2. Instruct user to tell everyone that the DID number is the *only* number
that they can get ahold of them, so callers *always* call the DID
3. If the user does not pick up, an IVR menu kicks in asking them to press 1
to try the user on their cell or 2 for voicemail
4. Callers to the "main" number get an IVR menu asking 1 for sales 2 for
whatever...and press 0 to go to the receptionist.
5. Transfer procedure for receptionist: Xfer key > Internal extension > OK.
If the guy is on the phone, the IVR menu kicks in.
6. Receptionist has FOP on her screen for extension state

This is a 4 way win:

-Users love having their own "personal" number and fax number (faxes are
emailed directly to them)
-Receptionist loves it because her call volume has dropped 80%. Transfer is
not too egregious so receptionist complies
-Callers love it because they don't have to call a receptionist
-Callers are screened automatically, anybody that you want to be screened
you give the main number to NOT a did number.

DID's are $24 per user per year. We are using Snom phones, transfer right
out of the box. hth