[Asterisk-Users] Semi-OT: An idea for New Orleans temporary communications infrastructure

Jeremy Melanson jeremy at PreferredTime.com
Fri Sep 2 06:36:16 MST 2005

Just something I was thinking about today...

The communications infrastructure of New Orleans and surrounding
communities has been obliterated. It occurred to me that it may be
possible to provide outgoing phone capability using a few Asterisk
servers, connected wirelessly (routing provided using NoCat, MIT
Roofnet, or some other wireless routing implementation), and 20-30 SIP
phones connected to each server. Using a couple good internet
connections, one could theoretically use asteriskout.com or a similar
service for the outgoing calls.

Some hurdles would need to be overcome:

1. Where to get the equipment. A basic setup for each point of presence
would require 1 computer (preferrably a high-powered laptop, 20-30
low-cost SIP phones, and 1 ethernet switch to connect the phones. We
would also need a means to provide high-gain 802.11b/g networking from
the machine, or some other piece of equipment.

2. Power for the equipment. SIP phones are fairly low in terms of power
consumption. IMHO, a single gas generator for each point of presence
would be required.

3. Internet connectivity. Where and how would one provide internet
connectivity to the nodes, and what would be the required bandwidth?
Could a local ISP, satellite broadband, or telecom provider be contacted
to provide the needed bandwidth? Who would pay for the service?

4. Funding and help. This would obviously cost time and money to
implement. One could potentially solicit donations for equipment and
money, and time from volunteers willing to assist in the rollout and
management.

5. Security. Local law enforcement and/or the Army National Guard may be
required to provide security assistance due to the anarchic state of the
region.

-----------------

It's just an idea I had. It may not even be feasable, or even worth it.
I know that if I was stranded somewhere, I'd at least want to be able to
contact family or loved-ones outside to let them know I'm ok.
I'd be curious if anyone had some thoughts on the value and feasability
of such a project as this. I live in Massachusetts, and have no ability
to get down there myself at the present time, but I'd be willing to
provide what I can with funding, equipment, planning, and remote
administration if needed.

-----
Jeremy