[Asterisk-Users] How to resolve SMS/WAP/MMS/VoIP gateways on a shoestring?

Henry Junior henryjunior at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 10:14:37 MST 2005

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what options I
have for mapping incoming/outgoing SMS messages to/from a telephone
number that I am given by a VoIP provider who does not currently
offer SMSC services?

In other words, Voicepulse, my VoIP provider, provides me with a PSTN
terminated number (hypothetically 222-222-2222).  I use my Asterisk
server to handle the calls that Voicepulse delivers to me via IAX.  I
need to send/receive SMS messages to/from the mobile carrier
network.  As far as I understand it I need a SMSC provider with
access to the mobile carrier network.

I currently have Asterisk triggering Kannel to send SMS messages.  I
am on a shoestring budget so registering for a ShortCode number is
out of the question.

My objective is to handle incoming voice calls at 222-222-2222 *AND*
be able to send/receive SMS messages from 222-222-2222 without
playing a game of call forwarding or faking my SMSC ID.

Right now, my mobile telephone (hypothetically 777-777-7777) is my
SMSC.  I have opted to go this route because of the cheap, unlimited
SMS/data plans that are available.

Ultimately, I want to be able to send/receive/respond to SMS messages
at the same number that I route my VoIP service to -- currently, if
you call 222-222-2222 you get a SMS from 777-777-7777.  Obviously,
this is not ideal.

Down the road, I will want to be able to have my MMS gateway, Mbuni,
process incoming MMS messages sent to my VoIP telephone number.  This
is becoming an issue that I'd like to understand better.  I'd also
like to solve bridging my routing issues, in an affordable manner (or
at least understand what's possible even if I can't afford it.)

It would be nice if there was a way to setup something like a CNAME
record which would allow me to resolve my various gateways.  I
suspect that having a 5-digit .sc is the solution to all my problems
but I am a bit unclear how that stuff works.

Can anyone shed light on what options I might have to resolve the
issues I bring up?

In particular, how can I setup my SMS/MMS/WAP/VoIP gateways so that
they map each of their respective services, and resolve everything
that is directed to them, to/from the same number?

I'm having a hard time explaining this complicated situation which I
have only an intermediate understanding of in the first place.  Thank
you for helping me get a better sense of they way these things work,
and hopefully can work better, together.  As I develop my VoIP
services I need affordable solutions to allow me to continue my r&d
work.  This is why cost is such a major issue and SC is out.

Thank you for your help clarifying things for me.

Cheers, HJ