[Asterisk-Users] Rugged VoIP phones for use with asterisk

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Mon Oct 31 14:40:48 MST 2005

On Oct 31, 2005, at 3:12 PM, asterisk at frameweb.it wrote:

> Yes, using and analog with ATA is an option, but one of the
> requirements is
> to avoid eletric power cabling, and there is an explicit request
> for Power
> Over Ethernet phones (which adds another not-so-common feature)...
> so a
> native VoIP phone would be welcome.
>
> Francesco Pellegrini

Then put the ATA in the telephone closet with the Asterisk server and
use the cable between the closet and the user's station to carry the
phone signal instead of ethernet. That way you don't need power at
each station, you only need it in the closet.

Another option would be to use the new TDM card coming out from
Digium, or to use a Channel bank and a T1 card for your analog
stations. In this scenario, you would also be using the wiring to
carry the phone signal, not ethernet. I think it is very unlikely
that you will find a VOIP phone that will be sturdy enough to handle
a ship's deck.

Tom