[Asterisk-Users] Speaking of echo canceling...

Dave Grey lydanynom at mac.com
Sun Oct 30 14:45:39 MST 2005

Can I please get a definitive answer on this from the list...

I have read through lots of material, and I am 90% sure the answer is
"no", but the occasional offhand statement has left this little
nugget of hope in my mind.

Is there any echo cancelation that I can enable or add for pure
IP<>IP calls?

I frequently get bad echo on IAX2/ulaw connections between my CVS
HEAD and a friend's 1.2 Beta, using analog phones connected through
IAXys on both ends. Neither PBX has a zap interface. We understand
that this is primarily a problem with the acoustic/electric
properties of the telephones we are using, exacerbated in conditions
of higher latency, but is there a software canceler that I can apply
to the problem?  Replacing the devices is not really an option.
(Although, just for information, is there a list somewhere of
standard telephones known to have exceptional acoustic and signal
isolation between earpiece and mic?  He is using some Uniden cordless
sets that are otherwise very nice and were certainly not cheap, so
apparently price/overall apparent quality is not necessarily an
indication of favorable de-coupling characteristics.)

Thanks for your help.

lyd