[Asterisk-Users] SCCP support is making good progress

Chris Bagnall asterisk at minotaur.cc
Sun Oct 30 10:04:22 MST 2005

> whoever owns a Cisco phone and is unhappy about slow
> firmware, incomplete XML support etc... should really have a
> look at Sergio Chersovani's rewrite of chan-sccp!

Is there a good resource out there for people who don't have a lot of
experience with Cisco phones? I picked up a 7960 earlier this week to give
potential clients an example of what they get when they spend a *lot* of
money on IP phones, but I must confess I'm having a nightmare of a time
trying to configure it.

The main problem seem to be that I have nothing but a phone and a brief
licence agreement/regulatory approval sheet, and nothing else. I've trawled
through the numerous pages about these phones both on Cisco's website and on
voip-info, but I'm still not really sure what files I need to have on the
TFTP server to get the phone going in the first place, or find some
up-to-date examples to work from. Even after that I'm not sure I'll be able
to upgrade the firmware without a Cisco service agreement (from what I've
read), which is ridiculous for a phone that's twice as expensive as many
other enterprise IP phones.

Any suggested reading others on the list have found helpful in this
scenario?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chris