[Asterisk-Users] Top and asterisk performance

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Fri Oct 28 12:03:23 MST 2005

Julian Lyndon-Smith wrote:

> We had to move from a old * server to a new one in a hurry (hardware
> failure). The old server was a dual pentium 700 with 512MB ram running
> fedora core 2, the new one is a single 3GHz Pentium with 1gb ram.
>
> The same number of people are connected to the new server as the old,
> the same number of inbound calls to the isdn30 etc (on average 20
> calls active at any time (SIP and ZAP)). Basically, just a server
> swapout.
>
> I must be reading top wrong, because the old server had a idle of
> approx 30%, whereas the new server is
>
> top - 13:35:21 up 12 days, 23:57,  1 user,  load average: 7.11, 7.20,
> 7.21
> Tasks:  98 total,   9 running,  89 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
> Cpu(s): 99.0% us,  1.0% sy,  0.0% ni,  0.0% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,
> 0.0% si
> Mem:   1034640k total,   144792k used,   889848k free,    21952k buffers
> Swap:  2031608k total,        0k used,  2031608k free,    61248k cached
>
> Notice the 99.0% us. This fluctuates between 80 and 99%.
>
> The other difference is that the new server is on cvs-head as of today
> - I did say that it was an emergency :) whereas the old server was
> cvs-head from june sometime.
>
> Is it just me, or is there a problem ?

Well, I suppose it depends on what's using all that CPU -- you leave
that part out.

Assuming it's asterisk threads causing the 100% cpu usage, and the load
average of 7, then, yes, that's a lot of CPU.

But, you could have some other program/processes doing that, and if
they're batch processes (they're clearly not niced), they may end up
with a lower dynamic priority and not affect asterisk too much.

-SteveK