[Asterisk-Users] IAX voice problem, no voice at all

Joseph Rothstein jrothstein at comcentrixs.com
Fri Oct 28 02:56:09 MST 2005

I have a strange problem with IAX.

We have an IAX connection between two boxes which works fine. We can call
from the two boxes, in and out using SIP phones, hard and soft without
issue.

We are testing some IAX softphones, and have come across a problem with the
voice. Calls on the same box are fine, anything I call on the box where the
IAX clients are registered is perfect. The problems occur when we try and
call any extensions on the other box. Signalling seems to work OK, the
phones ring, but there is no voice at all.

Trace from Asterisk below (box where the IAX client is registered):

-- Accepting AUTHENTICATED call from 195.27.242.103, requested format =
1024, actual format = 4

    -- Executing Dial("IAX2/test2 at test2/4", "IAX2/RemoteServ/212||r") in new
stack

    -- Called RemoteServ/212

    -- Call accepted by 172.16.10.2 (format ulaw)

    -- Format for call is ulaw

    -- IAX2/RemoteServ/7 is ringing

    -- IAX2/RemoteServ/7 is ringing

    -- IAX2/RemoteServ/7 answered IAX2/test2 at test2/4

    -- Attempting native bridge of IAX2/test2 at test2/4 and IAX2/RemoteServ/7

    -- Channel 'IAX2/RemoteServ/7' ready to transfer

    -- Channel 'IAX2/test2 at test2/4' ready to transfer

    -- Releasing IAX2/test2 at test2/4 and IAX2/RemoteServ/7

    -- Hungup 'IAX2/RemoteServ/7'

  == Spawn extension (iaxtest, 7212, 1) exited non-zero on
'IAX2/test2 at test2/4'

    -- Hungup 'IAX2/test2 at test2/4'

This is what we see form the other side:

   -- Accepting unauthenticated call from 172.16.10.5, requested format = 4,
actual format = 4

    -- Executing Dial("IAX2/ClientServ at ClientServ/16386",
"SIP/phone12|20|tr") in new stack

    -- Called phone12

    -- SIP/phone12-fe21 is ringing

    -- SIP/phone12-fe21 answered IAX2/ClientServ at ClientServ/16386

  == Spawn extension (default, 212, 1) exited non-zero on
'IAX2/ClientServ at ClientServ/16386'

-- Hungup 'IAX2/ClientServ at ClientServ/16386'

The only thing for me that looks strange is the numbers here. Why does on
machine have only single digit numbers?

Everything seems to progress as it should, there is just no voice.

The IAX firmware is the same on both sides:

asterisk_test*CLI> iax2 show firmware

Device           Version         Size

iaxy             23              39360

Both boxes are running 1.0.9.

As I mentioned, the AIX connection between the two boxes runs fine for all
the SIP traffic we pass over it.

Any ideas with this would really help.

Regards,

Joe