[Asterisk-Users] please recommend phones with adsi.

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 21:30:46 MST 2005

As I said it could exist, but I'm only guessing here that the posts
about ADSI over SIP channels are (again this just my guess) only for
the SIP channel to allow for the ADSI scripts to be downloaded into
the phones. Since it's like faxing that doesn't really work nicely
over SIP (or VoIP for that matter). SIP in itself will never support
ADSI, since its stupid to do so (what they all do now is xml or xhtml
based services like what Cisco and Polycom support). But ATAs that use
SIP might have an ADSI compliant phone connected to the ATA and that
needs to be able to download the ADSI scripts which right now works
best over PRI or analog but not VoIP.
As for the the theory that a softphone that supports ADSI could exist,
while I can't deny it, there will at best be one for testing the real
analog phones, but not for actual end user usage.
ADSI is a technology that allows:
1. The execution of scripts on the phone, thru which communication
between the phone and the host (in our case Asterisk) is done using
soft buttons on the phone, that are sent as DTMF to the host.
2. The download of scripts and info from the host to the phone, so
that the phone will display the right softbuttons, at the right time.
For 1 any phone soft or hardphone works (since it's all just DTMF),
what the ADSI application does is script those DTMF commands. You can
take any phone and create a speed dial that sends the DTMF you want,
but it wont be interactive. However if you have an ADSI phone the
scripts will get activated and send the DTMF commands using
softbuttons that get updated using the ADSI script it downloaded using
2 above. For that reason you can take an ADSI phone that has been
preprogrammed let's say for Asterisk and have it plugged into to an
ATA and it should be able to do most of the magic stuff.
Number 2 above will run into problems if you don't use PRI or POTS,
since it relies on analog technology like faxing, that is (again my
guess) what the posts at asterisk-dev have been about.
For the above reasons a real good excuse is needed to explain why, and
how a softphone ADSI could be created, when we now have php, perl, and
what not.
CallerID is just one thing that ADSI did for us, the 390 or 450 do much more.

Some more info:
http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials/adsi_conf.html