[Asterisk-Users] Taking the plung to CVS HEAD

Chris Coulthurst asterisk at shuksan.com
Thu Oct 27 21:02:30 MST 2005

If your 1.0.9 install is (on the /usr/src/asterisk tree) complete, you might
unpack the CVS source somewhere else other than /usr/src (maybe
/usr/local/src or /usr/src/cvs).  Most importantly, PLAN AHEAD.  It would
seem that the more Asterisk evolves, the less-tolerant it is natually
becoming to "obsoleted" methods and code.  Little things like commas where
pipes should be could be a pain.

Also, think to make sure you didn't install, and depend on a patch (spandsp
for example, the patches are very version-dependant).

Copy /etc/asterisk, /var/lib/asterisk, /var/spool/asterisk and
/usr/lib/asterisk to a backup location FIRST.

I remember when I upgraded to CVS-HEAD back in mid August.  I learned the
hard way to triple-check the little things.

If you copy all the files (maybe a restore script would be handy), you
should be able to just run a make install from each source-tree's directory
to return it to normal.  Oh, don't forget to erase the contents of
/usr/lib/asterisk/modules before you 'make install' new ones.

Chris