[Asterisk-Users] DTMF recognition unreliable or absent, ringing lost on 2nd half of "3-way" call.

Dave Grey lydanynom at mac.com
Thu Oct 27 11:10:51 MST 2005

These appear to be a common problems, but after spending half a day
reading the wiki and list archives I have not gained much useful
knowledge beyond the fact that these are a common problems.  I am
hoping for some suggestions or pointers to further info.

I have an ivr in my incoming context that does a background() and...
well, it is an ivr, no need to explain that, I guess.

So, testing locally, it works wonderfully.  Testing through my DID,
provided by IPKall, it is decidedly hit-or-miss.  The digits seem to
be either not recognized at all or recognized incorrectly better than
half the time. Most often, I get the "invalid extension" playback
that I have assigned to the i,1 exten.  For a while, I had two test
extensions, one 2000 and one 2001.  Dialing 2001 usually sent me to
2000 instead. What is making it hard for me to debug is that it
*sometimes* works, recognizing the extension I dialed correctly.

My peer entry in sip.conf for IPKall contains dtmfmode=rfc2833 as per
their recommendation.  I have tried setting relaxedtmf=yes in the
general section, with no noticeable change.  I turned it off again,
since the problem seems to be too much relaxation in any case.
Looking at the console, I dial 7056 and it sees 7055, I dial 7056
again and it sees 75, I dial 7056 a third time and it sees 7055556,
etc.  Seems random and all over the place.  Packet loss and/or
ordering?  Aside from the dtmf issue, incoming calls on the DID work
fine and sound excellent.

Another issue that may or may not be related, but that I would like
to solve, is that when I flash the switch to initiate a three-way
call and dial a number, when I flash back to the original call the
ringing on the second call stops.  I just hear silence until the call
connects.  When the call does connect, I can send no dtmf at all to
whatever is at the other end.  To put it another way...  You call
me.  I want to play you a message on my voicemail, say at the
office.  I flash the hook and get a dial tone, dial my work VM
number, and the call starts ringing.  I flash back, and the ringing
stops.  We listen to the silence together until the VM system picks
up, but at that point neither of us can send dtmf to log in. (The
call works normally otherwise, audio in both directions, etc.)

I am sure the answers to these questions require only a basic
understanding of the way signaling and bridging work over and across
the different technologies, but I am having a really hard time
acquiring that understanding.  I would be grateful for any help.

lyd