[Asterisk-Users] open-source vs. tellme/skype/gNumber et. al.

Neil Skowronek lancelotlinux at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 27 03:10:27 MST 2005

Now that Skype and Ebay are one, I feel that they will
be cherry-picking all the promising open-source
voip/asterisk development and calling it their own.

There is a company called gNumber that relies
completely on Asterisk that has also teamed up with
ebay for cell phone notification of ending auctions,
they claim to have patents pending on 'transactions
through voice channel'

I'm new to open-source, perhaps this is the wrong
forum to ask this question but where does the line
exist between shared and ownership?

The software that is asterisk has allowed for all this
to develope, can people then take what freely
distrubuted and own it?

I know I'm opening a can of worms and need to read
more on this, but I'd like to hear some learned
opinions first and at least get a few links to help me
with my research.

THX

Neil