[Asterisk-Users] Echo Canceller question- is there a viable solution?

gw at adcomcorp.com gw at adcomcorp.com
Wed Oct 26 22:38:48 MST 2005

Hello All,

I have a question in regards to the echo cancellation mechanism's used
in HEAD.

I know a lot of effort has been made to reduce echo on the various
boards, and Digium has introduced the new echo cancelling boards.

My question is, what is the direction in relation to analog boards and
such?

Quite a few people tend to have difficulties with echo, and although the
WIKI has some very helpful advice, from a business standpoint I would
think that it would be an important step to come up with a final
solution to the problem.

Many companies who make the higher end equipment seem to have tackled
the issue on their hardware.

Do we know if digium is spending time on solving the issue?  For
example, having a tool to run on a digium analog or t1 board to analyze
the line statistics and come up with the proper gain settings could be
extremely helpful.

Such a tool would require a firm knowledge of the causes and solutions
to echo however, but I would assume that digium should have a grasp on
this.

It just seems difficult to suggest to companies to use an asterisk based
solution (if they do not use pri) when there is the possibility that an
installation will have issues with echo.

At this point, it feels more like a trial experience to eliminate echo
in various environments.

I have used local tone from the CO to help narrow things down, but a
tool that would loop dial a line and do an analysis could reduce the
implementation time from days to hours.

I have clients which I would jump on if I could just go to their site,
do an install, and not have to worry about these kinds of issues (for
example, if I fly out for a day to do an install, it would be a big
problem to have to make multiple trips to solve an echo issue)

I personally have had to deal with echo problems as well, but been able
to manage.  None of the solutions I have come up with however have left
me feeling 100 percent satisfied.

I am talking for the most part on the local end, using a hybrid of local
pbx's and land lines, and T1.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Greg