[Asterisk-Users] Simple SIP only Asterisk Configuration

Pikoro webmaster at psphacks.net
Wed Oct 26 20:00:36 MST 2005

Ok, I've been messing with asterisk for the last 3 weeks and I just
can't seem to figure this out.

Everything I've read seems to state that asterisk will work "out of the
box" with only minor config changes when being used only for SIP to SIP
calls.

The problem I am having is I cannot make outbound calls or receive
incoming calls over my sip-provider.  Asterisk registers properly, and
internal communications seem to work fine.

I have, at one time or another, had either outgoing only, or incoming
only, but never both at once.  Unfortunately, I didn't know what I did
to make either of those work since I had made multiple adjustments and
had done a reload after each change.  For some reason, the incoming
calls only started working after restarting the computer so it could
have been any of 50 things I had changed.

I am back to the sample config files.  Is there any kind of walkthrough
for a sip only setup?  I have seen SIP only touched on briefly, with
most of the documentation leaning torwards IAX communications.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

   1. Asterisk server registers with our sip-provider for sip to pstn
      local and international calls
   2. Internal extensions 0, 200-210 can call eachother (of course)
   3. Extensions 200-205 are in a Tech Support Queue
   4. Extensions 206-210 are in a Customer Support Queue
   5. Extension 0 is the operator or menu system (I guess this would be s?)
   6. All phones (for now) are x-ten soft phones
   7. Each extension has voice mail
   8. When a customer calls during office hours, they are presented with
      a menu, press 1 for CS, press 2 for TS, or dial the extension you
      wish to reach, etc...
   9. Calls can be forwarded to other extensions
  10. On-hold music is implemented

I can handle doing everything on the list except for #1.

If anyone can offer any suggestions, it would make me, and my boss, very
happy.

Thanks in Advance
Aaron