Fw: [Asterisk-Users] UK BT IDSN30e 'pass through' with TE205P/AvayaArgentOffice?

Steve Rawlings steve at rawlings.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 11:46:32 MST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Shucksmith" <chris at shucksmith.com>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 2:17 PM
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] UK BT IDSN30e 'pass through' with
TE205P/AvayaArgentOffice?

> Hi all,
>
> I have a shed load of UK (BT) analogue equipment at our office (18 phones,
> 6 faxes) hooked up via structured cabling to an old Avaya ArgentOffice
> phone system. The on-its-way-out phone system has an IDSN30e PRI interface
> talking to the BT exchange delivering 18 channels. If I were to buy a 2
> port PRI card like the TE205P would this allow me to put asterisk in
> between?
> BT.EXCH <===> ASTERISK <===> Avaya PBX <===> Tphones/fax
>             IP-Phones  :-)
>
> My objective is to allow the introduction of IP phones at remote sites
> using an existing OpenVPN tunnels, and start the migration to new kit.
> I would reset the Avaya config to present its POT's FXS sockets as single
> channels on the IDSN and then do the extension routing and call handling
> with asterisk.
>
> Questions:
> o Can Asterisk inpersonate a telco over IDSN 30e well enough to please a
> PBX?
> o    .. with pass-through CLID?
> o Avaya PBX has some very old VOIP support, so does anyone know if the
> ASTERISK <===> Avaya link may be possible over IP?
> o Has anyone seen this working?
>
> Kind regards, and thanks for any thoughts you may share.
>
> Chris

We've done the same but with 2 BT PRI's in and out (using a TE405P).  As
others have said, they need to be EuroISDN, but CLI, DDI etc all pass
through to our old Avaya INDeX without having to modify the INDeX at all,
all calls in and out work fine.  Configure one span as PRI_CPE and one as
PRI_NET.  Should * play up, just move the cables from the * and plug back
into the switch.  We're trying to look at ISDNguard from Junghanns to do
this for us without the need to be on site and move the cables physically.

Steve