[Asterisk-Users] pppoe-server & Asterisk

Leo Ann Boon leo at datvoiz.com
Tue Oct 25 16:59:45 MST 2005

Stuart Hirst wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience of setting up their * server as a pppoe
> server such that devices would link to the server running * using
> pppoe and then do SIP over the PPP interface. I sounds simple and
> workable for specific handsets / IAD's that support  pppoe.

Let me see if I understand you correctly, you want the clients to
connect to the Asterisk directly using PPPoE? As opposed to, connecting
your clients to your ISP via PPPoE and then connect to your Asterisk via
IP. If that's your objective the short answer is no. Generally, you need
a DSLAM to support ADSL (I'm aware there're ADSL modems can work in a
direct point-to-point mode). Not to mention that you'll need untapped
analog leased lines from every client to your server.