[Asterisk-Users] re: changing protocols and transcoding

Yair Hakak yhakak at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 09:30:15 MST 2005

Hello all,
 forgive me if this is a simple question, but does bridging a SIP channel
and an IAX channel that use the same codec (say, alaw) involve transcoding?
i'm trying to figure out what kind of hardware i'll need, and i'm going to
be using SIP endpoints and IAX trunking to move the audio along to another
asterisk server (all with alaw), and i want to know if i'm going to need to
figure transcoding into my hardware.
I'm not familiar with the internals of IAX/SIP so again forgive me if this
is a dumb question.
 thanks,
 yair