[Asterisk-Users] How can you help?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat Oct 22 02:28:08 MST 2005

Someone wrote me off list:

> I would like to be able to help, but I'm not a C programmer - is there
> any other way I can assist the project?

There are many ways! Testing new patches, making sure they are
documented properly, that they work as expected. Making sure the Wiki is
up to date with 1.2.

Start with browsing through all [post 1.2] patches in the bug tracker,
testing and making comments. We need both positive feedback (Yes, this
works for me as well) and negative feedback (Hey, this did not work on
my Commodore Amiga with a 300 baud modem!).

There are a ton of post 1.2 patches in the bug tracker. Any help with
making sure that they all work, that the code follow the bug guidelines
and that they are well documented both within the code, in README files
and within sample configuration files is appreciated. Core developers
and bug marshals has been focusing on getting 1.2 out and still are, so
those bugs have been put aside in "no-music-but-still-on-hold mode".

A lot of this can be done by non-programmers and will greatly help us
moving forward with 1.3 after the release of 1.2. Join us in
#asterisk-dev or #asterisk-bugs on IRC if you have any questions.

Welcome to the Asterisk development community that involves coders,
testers and documentation writers!
/Olle

PS. And if you want a good example of a development community member
that do not code you can search the mailing lists for John Todd - he's
continuosly sending in good proposals, ideas, testing stuff, giving
feedback - but promptly refuses to learn how to code and fix it himself...