[Asterisk-Users] Re: T1 questions - could I got VoIP instead?

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Fri Oct 21 20:53:30 MST 2005

On Oct 21, 2005, at 9:37 AM, Michaël Gaudette wrote:

[snip]

> I have (yet another) follow-up question...my hypothetical company
> had 24 external lines and 72 internal employees.  Which is why a T1
> was the answer. Now that I think of it, couldn't I use VoIP instead
> for the external lines (I'm not looking at the internal lines right
> now, just trying to figure out whats cheaper for outside access).
>
> Meaning, couldn't I have 72 phone number coming in throught my VoIP
> provider, sent to my Asterisk PBX through normal Internet plumbing
> and then channel it to whatever internally.

Mike,

You could easily do this, but keep in mind you will probably need a
full T1 of data bandwidth (1.5mb/s) to handle the call volume. This,
of course, depends on the codec used, which will, in turn, affect
your CPU load... Don't forget about QOS, too, and you might want to
consider using a dedicated data line for the voice traffic, just in
case your 50 windows clients all download the latest 5MB update via
automatic update. (that tends to have a negative effect on your QOS
for voice traffic!)

Anyhow, I think you will find that the ITSP/VOIP route will be very
workable, but it will also be somewhat less reliable, simply because
the PSTN is so darned reliable. In the event that you choose this
route, you won't need the equipment for incoming lines, since they
all come in via ethernet.

Tom