[Asterisk-Users] How to wire Asterisk to stations?

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 21 13:39:22 MST 2005

I've just finished the O-Reilly book on Asterisk and setup a separate
computer with Asterisk at Home.

The book has a lot of good information but for some reason does not
discuss the physical wiring that goes to stations (FXS) and FXOs.

I understand that cat5 type wire would be used.
What commonly used standards, if any, are used on the various colored
wires?  What signals and voltages to they carry?

Presently I have a lot of POTS telephones all wired in 'home run' with a
single cat5 from line 1 of a station RJ-11 station block to type 66
blocks where the Asterisk equipment will live.

Can I do the same with Asterisk station lines - that is each extension
would be a single pair or two from Asterisk that carries power, ringing
current and voice.

What equipment do I need at the Asterisk end to connect multiple analog
POTS phone each station?

I also need to know how many wire pairs are needed for non-POTS phones
and what those wire carry.

If feasable the easiest wiring method is to end up with all POTS phones
on the default inner pair line 1 (blue) and non-POTS phones on line 2
(orange) and if necessary, 3 (green) leaving 4 (extra pair possibly used
for direct connection to CO line for emergencies).  That way any single
(not double) line POTS phone can be safely plugged in as they are all on
line 1.  Could this be done?

My mnemonic for telephone wire color coding is "BOG Brown".

I'm interested in any comments on physical wiring.

Larry
--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Slackware Linux