[Asterisk-Users] GSM gateway hardware

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Fri Oct 21 07:48:27 MST 2005

Very late response to this thread, but I have ordered a VoiceBlue 4 port
from the distributor in England last week. I was actually surprised at how
inexpensive it was, we budgeted $5K for this and it came in at about $3K Cdn
including tax and shipping. We are switching over to a GSM network (Rogers)
next week and based on calling habits gleaned from my call log detail
records we can save approx. $3K a month so the box will pay for itself the
first month. In terms of overflow, I'll just have the dialplan dial out on
my PRI if all of the channels are busy (if all of the channels are busy,
then the box is working properly!)

Rogers at first was wary of this box, but once I explained how it worked and
gave their tech guys the VoiceBlue manual they were enthusiastic and their
tech guys said that they would have no problem provisioning SIM cards for
it. In fact, they are so hyped about this that they are sending over some
high end guys from their data division to look at it once I had it running
properly. Initially they saw it as cutting their grass because I would be
denying them revenue through mobile-to-mobile, but then they realized that
they can use it as part of a unified strategy to get Rogers product and
services into CDMA shops that are also using VoIP. My Rogers rep now tells
me that they are talking with the VoiceBlue guys about north American
distribution rights.

My install will involve a custom AGI to lookup numbers from our SQL server
and determine if the dialed number is one of our Rogers cells or not and
then act accordingly. If anyone is interested in application notes, the AGI
itself, dialplan snippets, and how to deal with Rogers in Canada on this
topic email me offlist with the subject "GSM Gateway" so I can keep it
organized.