[Asterisk-Users] Re: T1 questions - could I got VoIP instead?

Michaël Gaudette michael.gaudette at hec.ca
Fri Oct 21 06:37:52 MST 2005

>> yes, its irrelavent what the channels within a channelized T1 do, but
>> with
> a pri is more complicated FWIW forget about PRI in Canada, no one seems to
> want to offer it. With channelized you need a drop and insert channelbank,
> fxs ports on the channels for extensions, and another T1 out from it with
> just the 6 channels left you want for the outside lines.
>
> Caveat - at least in Canada, 6 channels in a T1 is not worth it, go with 6
> analog lines of whatever type you need fed to the appropriate channel bank
> ports - DID and/or regular trunks, last time I dealt with it which has
> been a while now you could only get inbound DID, so you need regular lines
> to call out in addition. If you do find a cheap provider for sparse
> populated T1's let me know, but a couple years ago you were paying $700
> for the loop from Bell, and then whatever you actually wanted in it
> (dsx's, FR, etc) on top of that.
>
> I have a single t1 card and a 8x16 channel bank attached with 8 line ports
> and 16 extensions
>

> at least in Canada, ordering anything beyond a loop start trunk is not for
> the weak of heart, you have to be sure of what you want, and don't take no
> for an answer from anyone at the telco. You will probably have to go
> through about 3 layers of call jockies before you get anyone who remotely
> understands what you want. Then expect it to get done wrong the first time
> they attempt it so allow lots of extra time. My personal tip - wear a
> headset phone, take a washroom break and have a snack near you, then take
> a deep breath and call, its going to take a while.

Thanks for the Canadian perspective Joe.  I'm living this right now, just
trying to find out prices from Bell Canada.

I have (yet another) follow-up question...my hypothetical company had 24
external lines and 72 internal employees.  Which is why a T1 was the answer.
Now that I think of it, couldn't I use VoIP instead for the external lines
(I'm not looking at the internal lines right now, just trying to figure out
whats cheaper for outside access).

Meaning, couldn't I have 72 phone number coming in throught my VoIP
provider, sent to my Asterisk PBX through normal Internet plumbing and then
channel it to whatever internally.

This seems obvious, but since nobody mentionned it to me I'm afraid I'm
probably forgetting about an important obstacle to doing it.

Mike