[Asterisk-Users] Digium list server and spam assassin

Pete Barnwell peter at whole-uk.com
Thu Oct 20 15:53:31 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 21:07, Thorsten Lockert wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2005, at 13:00, Jason Pyeron wrote:
> > But the etiquette for SMTP is the HELO is done with a reverse
> > friendly name.
>
> Huh?  And which RFC say that?

RFC2821

"...
Section 4.1.1.1 Extended HELLO (EHLO) or HELLO (HELO)

The argument field contains the fully-qualified domain name of the SMTP
client if one is available.  In situations in which the SMTP client
system does not have a meaningful domain name (e.g., when its address is
dynamically allocated and no reverse mapping record is available), the
client SHOULD send an address literal (see section 4.1.3), optionally
followed by information that will help to identify the client system.
..."

If people would get this right we could eliminate 90% of current spam
overnight. (Spammers would change their tactics, but why make matters
easier for them?)

>> This 'assists' in detection of spoofed dns spamming.

>No, the only thing that will help with that is to
>do lookups on the  envelope sender and see if
>the source IP is an allowed sender for the
>domain used in the envelope.  I mean, come
>on...

and that's SPF...

Pete