[Asterisk-Users] Some questions regarding T1's

Michaël Gaudette michael.gaudette at hec.ca
Thu Oct 20 10:15:39 MST 2005

Hi,

I'm a computer engineer with basic knowledge of telecom.  Actually, less
then basic to be honest.  I've been playing around with Asterisks for a few
weeks with 2 FXS and 2 FXO cards, and having a bit of fun making a home PBX.
I'd like to know how I could apply this new knowledge to, for example,
developping a PBX solution for this following hypothetical company:

- Exactly 72 employees each with a direct telephone number that goes
directly to their phone.  Ex: Bob is 444-555-6666 and Lisa is 444-555-6667.
Let's say they don't have a PBX yet.
- Statistically, the max number of outside lines ever busy at the same time
was 24 (how conveniently T1-like).  They don't want to change their business
cards, so 444-555-6666 should still reach Bob, but now by going to the PBX
first.  The PBX should recognize that the call was made to 444-555-6666 and
switch it to Bob automatically.  Bob should see the Caller ID of the caller
on his phone.

This is it.  Conceptually, not very complicated.  My guess is I would need
(and this is where I need confirmation from somebody in the know):
- Asterisk PBX
- A Digium T1 line for a connection to the phone service provider (I'm in
Canada, so let's say Bell Canada for argument's sake)
- A T1 line from Bell Canada (or other)
- Something (not sure what) on the outside to connect to those 72 phones (3
T1 cards internally connecting to a wire panel, in turn connected to 60
phones?

Is this it?  Do I need anything else?

Follow-up questions:
a) Is is possible to have 72 numbers associated to a single T1 (more numbers
than lines)?
b) Will Asterisk be able to recognize (and how?) which number the call came
on, so it can run the right dial plan?
c) This migth be a Canada-specific answer, but I'll try:  When leasing a T1
line, does the regional code  have to be based on geohraphy?  Could I have a
T1 with 416 (Toronto) numbers located in Montreal (514)?

I sure hope my questions weren't too "newbie-like".  I fear they are, but
I've really tried finding the info on  the web. I certainly wouldn't be
insulted if the only reply I got was a link to a decent Web site explaining
all this.

Mike