[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail as an email attachement

Goran Skular goran.skular at slsolucije.hr
Thu Oct 20 01:52:13 MST 2005

>Always download programs directly from the homepage or from another
>reliable source. Don't just grab programs and scripts from everywhere.
>
>But why not just set mailcmd in voicemail.conf?
>
>Also, quoting the homepage:
>
>> Why not use sendmail?
>> Sendmail is a large and complex mail server. Installing this kind of
>> mail software on servers (unless it's a mail server) is more of a
>> security risk than its worth.
>
>Not if it only listens on localhost or doesn't listen at all. The
>codebases of sendmail is indeed known to be a source of many security
>breaches, but exim, postfix and qmail are not so. Most distros come with
>either postfix or exim by default nowadays.
>
>> Not to mention it can be a real pain
>> messing with configuration files and such. Systems need another simpler
>> way to send email from the command prompt, and sendEmail provides this
>> functionality. Its a simple, direct way to send email without the
>> overhead of other conventional email software.
>
>Most of the pain is caused due to management of messages in the queue.
>Other types of pain are due to messages routing. Routing issues can be
>easily solved by sending basically all mail to a remote host (excpt,
>maybe, some system messages).
>
>However, if the system is disconnected from the net for a while what
>will you do? lose all voicemail messages? (and get just ugly warnings
>in the logs as a reminder)
>
>Also note that there are quite a few programs that could use a
>sendmail-compatible interface. cron sends its output using mail. So are
>many other programs. If you don't provide a sendmail-compatible
>interface (even if it one that does not queue, something like
>nullmailer) you'll have to reconfigure other parts of your system as
>well.
>
>And worst of all: you won't be able to send mail with mutt. The horors!

I completely agree! This is only a work-around.. there are much better
methods involved with sendmail which is really powerfull and thus really
complicated to configure. The most difficult part is not on * server side,
but on relaying server side which must be configured to allow relays only
from authorized sites.. I had no success with that, even with some keys and
similar solutions which I tried, so I gave up and start using sendEmail.

But, I will for sure migrate to sendmail when time for that comes, and I
strongly suggest it to everyone.