[Asterisk-Users] E1 PRI error: "!! Got I-frame while link state 2" and "!! Got a UA, but i'm in state 1" (long)

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Wed Oct 19 08:51:54 MST 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: E1 PRI error: "!! Got I-frame while link state 2" and "!! Got a
UA, but i'm in state 1"
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:46:01 +0800
From: Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque.com>
<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>, Asterisk on BSD discussion
<asterisk-bsd at lists.digium.com>

hey * folk,

i've got a TE410P (generation 1 firmware) stuck in a box with a single xeon
2.8Ghz and 1GB RAM. there's a loopback E1 cable connecting span 1 to span 4
(zaptel.conf and zapata.conf below). upon starting up asterisk, i see the
following errors consistently on the screen,

!! Got I-frame while link state 2
!! Got a UA, but i'm in state 1

they seem to be coming from libpri.so.1 and the spans seem to be restarting
each other infinitely. i also get a number of the following messages from
chan_zap.so:

B-channel 0/6 restarted on span 1
B-channel 0/6 restarted on span 4
B-channel 0/7 restarted on span 1
B-channel 0/7 restarted on span 4
B-channel 0/8 restarted on span 1
B-channel 0/8 restarted on span 4
B-channel 0/9 restarted on span 1
B-channel 0/9 restarted on span 4

No D-channels available! Using Primary Channel 16 as D-channel anyway!
No D-channels available! Using Primary Channel 109 as D-channel anyway!

both spans show "Provisioned,Up, Active" in pri show span, and zttest shows
100% all the way.

a snapshot of pri debug span 1, shows:

 > Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=13
 > Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 0/0x0) (Originator)
 > Message type: RESTART (70)
 > [18 03 a9 83 83]
 > Channel ID (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Implicit, PRI Spare: 0, Exclusive
Dchan: 0
 >                        ChanSel: Reserved
 >                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0   Number Specified   Channel Type: 3
 >                       Ext: 1  Channel: 3 ]
 > [79 01 80]
 > Restart Indentifier (len= 3) [ Ext: 1  Spare: 0  Resetting Indicated
Channel (0) ]
< Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=13
< Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 0/0x0) (Terminator)
< Message type: RESTART ACKNOWLEDGE (78)
< [18 03 a9 83 83]
< Channel ID (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Implicit, PRI Spare: 0, Exclusive
Dchan: 0
<                        ChanSel: Reserved
<                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0   Number Specified   Channel Type: 3
<                       Ext: 1  Channel: 3 ]
< [79 01 80]
< Restart Indentifier (len= 3) [ Ext: 1  Spare: 0  Resetting Indicated
Channel (0) ]
-- Processing IE 24 (cs0, Channel Identification)
-- Processing IE 121 (cs0, Restart Indicator)
 > Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=13
 > Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 0/0x0) (Originator)
 > Message type: RESTART (70)
 > [18 03 a9 83 84]
 > Channel ID (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Implicit, PRI Spare: 0, Exclusive
Dchan: 0
 >                        ChanSel: Reserved
 >                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0   Number Specified   Channel Type: 3
 >                       Ext: 1  Channel: 4 ]
 > [79 01 80]
 > Restart Indentifier (len= 3) [ Ext: 1  Spare: 0  Resetting Indicated
Channel (0) ]
!! Got I-frame while link state 2
 > Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=13
 > Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 0/0x0) (Originator)
 > Message type: RESTART (70)
 > [18 03 a9 83 83]
 > Channel ID (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Implicit, PRI Spare: 0, Exclusive
Dchan: 0
 >                        ChanSel: Reserved
 >                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0   Number Specified   Channel Type: 3
 >                       Ext: 1  Channel: 3 ]
 > [79 01 80]
 > Restart Indentifier (len= 3) [ Ext: 1  Spare: 0  Resetting Indicated
Channel (0) ]
< Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=13
< Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 0/0x0) (Originator)
< Message type: RESTART (70)
< [18 03 a9 83 84]
< Channel ID (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Implicit, PRI Spare: 0, Exclusive
Dchan: 0
<                        ChanSel: Reserved
<                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0   Number Specified   Channel Type: 3
<                       Ext: 1  Channel: 4 ]
< [79 01 80]
< Restart Indentifier (len= 3) [ Ext: 1  Spare: 0  Resetting Indicated
Channel (0) ]
-- Processing Q.931 Restart
-- Processing IE 24 (cs0, Channel Identification)
-- Processing IE 121 (cs0, Restart Indicator)
 > Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=13
 > Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 0/0x0) (Terminator)
 > Message type: RESTART ACKNOWLEDGE (78)
 > [18 03 a9 83 84]
 > Channel ID (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Implicit, PRI Spare: 0, Exclusive
Dchan: 0
 >                        ChanSel: Reserved
 >                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0   Number Specified   Channel Type: 3
 >                       Ext: 1  Channel: 4 ]
 > [79 01 80]
 > Restart Indentifier (len= 3) [ Ext: 1  Spare: 0  Resetting Indicated
Channel (0) ]
!! Got I-frame while link state 2
 > Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=13
 > Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 0/0x0) (Originator)
 > Message type: RESTART (70)
 > [18 03 a9 83 85]
 > Channel ID (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Implicit, PRI Spare: 0, Exclusive
Dchan: 0
 >                        ChanSel: Reserved
 >                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0   Number Specified   Channel Type: 3
 >                       Ext: 1  Channel: 5 ]
 > [79 01 80]
 > Restart Indentifier (len= 3) [ Ext: 1  Spare: 0  Resetting Indicated
Channel (0) ]
< Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=13
< Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 0/0x0) (Terminator)
< Message type: RESTART ACKNOWLEDGE (78)
< [18 03 a9 83 85]
< Channel ID (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Implicit, PRI Spare: 0, Exclusive
Dchan: 0
<                        ChanSel: Reserved
<                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0   Number Specified   Channel Type: 3
<                       Ext: 1  Channel: 5 ]
< [79 01 80]
< Restart Indentifier (len= 3) [ Ext: 1  Spare: 0  Resetting Indicated
Channel (0) ]
-- Processing IE 24 (cs0, Channel Identification)
-- Processing IE 121 (cs0, Restart Indicator)
 > Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=13
 > Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 0/0x0) (Originator)
 > Message type: RESTART (70)
 > [18 03 a9 83 86]
 > Channel ID (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Implicit, PRI Spare: 0, Exclusive
Dchan: 0
 >                        ChanSel: Reserved
 >                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0   Number Specified   Channel Type: 3
 >                       Ext: 1  Channel: 6 ]
 > [79 01 80]
 > Restart Indentifier (len= 3) [ Ext: 1  Spare: 0  Resetting Indicated
Channel (0) ]
!! Got I-frame while link state 2
 > Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=13
 > Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 0/0x0) (Originator)
 > Message type: RESTART (70)
 > [18 03 a9 83 85]
 > Channel ID (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Implicit, PRI Spare: 0, Exclusive
Dchan: 0
 >                        ChanSel: Reserved
 >                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0   Number Specified   Channel Type: 3
 >                       Ext: 1  Channel: 5 ]
 > [79 01 80]
 > Restart Indentifier (len= 3) [ Ext: 1  Spare: 0  Resetting Indicated
Channel (0) ]
< Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=13
< Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 0/0x0) (Terminator)
< Message type: RESTART ACKNOWLEDGE (78)
< [18 03 a9 83 85]
< Channel ID (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Implicit, PRI Spare: 0, Exclusive
Dchan: 0
<                        ChanSel: Reserved
<                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0   Number Specified   Channel Type: 3
<                       Ext: 1  Channel: 5 ]
< [79 01 80]
< Restart Indentifier (len= 3) [ Ext: 1  Spare: 0  Resetting Indicated
Channel (0) ]
-- Processing IE 24 (cs0, Channel Identification)
-- Processing IE 121 (cs0, Restart Indicator)

any idea what could be causing this ? it doesnt really matter which of the
two spans i loopback on, the symptoms remain the same. needless to say, no
calls can be made.

asterisk and libpri are CVS HEAD as of 12 oct 05.

could it be due to a buggy card ? if this is the case, i really wont be
able to tell as i dont have any spare cards to test with. i've read that
the newer versions of the drivers may cause similar problems to old cards,
but since we're on freebsd, we're unable to revert to an old version of the
driver.

i'm very close to escalating this to digium support, but am wondering if
someone here has seen this and/or solved this before.

additionally, what are the usages of pridump, pritest, testprilib
respectively in the libpri sources ?

--dinesh

--- zaptel.conf ---
bchan=1-15