[Asterisk-Users] free dids on goiax.com

Rajesh kumar rajesh_junk at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:39:24 MST 2005

>Making lists of who you are going to call defeats the purpose.  If I
>only wanted to call a small number of people I wouldnt need US48
>termination.  If I have to upload a contact list (or enter it manually
>which would be a lot more bothersome) I wouldnt use the service.  The
>reason for that is I dont know who I am gonna call, and I dont give out
>my address book to some website just because.  I would imagine that a
>lot of other people would feel the same.

>Now lets say a new pizza place opens up and runs a local commercial on
>TV.  Some number if flashed on the screen but its not in my address
>book.  I only use goiax for outbound.  I then have to register that
>number to call to order a pizza?  Not very user friendly.  A friend is
>staying in a hotel and I wish to call them I have to add that hotel as
>well?

For a free service, its quite acceptable to demand certain conditions and
regulations just to keep the abusers away.

When you use the service, the outgoing number is going to be "known" to the
goiax server anyway. So, what is that you loose by uploading a frequently
calling numbers? Its sounds more like demanding the long distance service
company not to "know" the phone numbers you are dialing out... open your
long distance phone bill and there they are - all the numbers you dialed
along with the time and duration. if you want to keep the numbers you dial
with your phone secret, there is no phone service in the world that can lend
the service.

Also, not every day new pizza places pop up. So, when a new number is to be
called, you first update your calling list, and then dial. its like building
your frequent caller list online.

>What about all the proxy lists that exist freely available?  What about
>proxy scanners that exist to find new unlisted ones?  What about the
>fact that with most cable modem providers its trivial to get a new IP.

If a person is determined to bring the service down, there is nothing to
stop him. The question to be asked is, do you want to focus the restricted
resources to provide a free service on the 20% of the exceptional cases or
80% of the general cases. the choice is obvious. There exists no one ideal
security solution that address all 100% cases. We have to adapt several
tactics to address each category of the issue. To handle telemarketers -
calls typically originate from a limited list of IPs -, we can adapt this
strategy along with tight terms of conditions to avoid businesses benefit
from the free service without contributing anything back towards development
of the free-conect world.

Instead of having the goiax down for all users, its better to device a
feasible mechanism to hunt the abusers.

regards,
Rajesh