[Asterisk-Users] One phone ringing, one phone flashing ?

Paul Davidson planac at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 13:11:02 MST 2005

> Message: 18
> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:02:28 +0200
> From: "Stefan-Michael. Guenther (in-put GbR)" <S.Guenther at in-put.de>
> Subject: [Asterisk-Users] One phone ringing, one phone flashing ?
> To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
>
> Hi,
>
> well, some clients have strange ideas and wishes (at least to my mind).
>
> Yesterday I gave a presentation about asterisk to a CEO.
> At the end he asked me whether asterisk is able to do the following:
>
> When a call for the CEO comes in, the calling number should be shown on
> the
> display of his phone and the phone of his secretary. The secretary's
> phones
> should ring, but at his phone only a light should flash.
>
> ;-)) No, turning off the sound isn't the solution.
> This restriction should e.g. only apply, when it is an external call,
> internal
> calls should result in ringing both phones.
>
> I'm not quite sure, whether this could be a feature of asterisk or the
> phone
> or both together.
>
> Does anything of you successfully set up something like this or could
> recommend a phone that would help/support it?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
>
> Stefan

The quick and dirty solution to this that I'd put together would involve a
Cisco or Polycom multiline phone, and some careful magic with ring tones.
First, set up two different lines on the boss's phone- one that you'll use
for inbound external calls, the other that you'd use for inbound internal
calls. When a new call came in, the call would be routed simultaneously
(through DIAL(TECH/EXTN&TECH/EXTN2) ) to both the secretary's phone and to
the boss's phone external line. The ringer can be independantly specified on
each line for the Cisco phone- so you specify a custom ringtone that's
essentially silent- record some dead air for his inbound external line.
Since the Cisco displays CID and flashes the red light on ringing, he gets
his flashing light- and it rings as needed at the secretaries desk.

Cheap, dirty solution- but functional in a short timeframe.

-pbd.