[Asterisk-Users] cmd SIPRedirect for loadbalancing

Simon Woodhead woodheads at esms.com
Mon Oct 17 09:58:00 MST 2005

Hi folks,

I've just been reading about the above command and wonder if anyone has
made use of it for load-balancing or if doing so would be completely
inappropriate!?

I'm thinking of the scenario where there are a number of Asterisk
gateways and incoming SIP traffic. From what I've read, with a box in
front receiving all incoming traffic the SIPRedirect command could be
used to redirect traffic to one of the gateways, perhaps with an AGI to
manage the load balancing and registration to handle failover.
Conventional wisdom suggests using SER for this but I wonder if a pure
Asterisk deployment is now possible/viable or sensible?

Secondly, with the gateways themselves sharing a Realtime database could
a client registered with one, deliver calls to another or is this not
yet fully supported?

Thanks in advance,
Simon