[Asterisk-Users] Re: [Asterisk-doc] You ASKED for an Asterisk book, you GOT an Asterisk book!

Leif Madsen asterisk.leif.madsen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 09:15:04 MST 2005

On 10/15/05, Sean Wheller <sean at inwords.co.za> wrote:
> On Saturday 15 October 2005 20:58, Leif Madsen wrote:
> > Asterisk: The Future of Telephony is now freely available, for
> > download in PDF form, from the Asterisk Documentation Project website
> > located at http://www.asteriskdocs.org.
>
> Congratulations on the release of this book. It certainly is a great body of
> work.
>
> I would like to ask whether the authors and O'Reilly Media would ever release
> under a less restrictive license perhaps
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ ? Of course I would like cc-by-sa
> 2.5, but that may be pushing it :-)
>
> If the above is a possability, it would enable the source of the book to be
> made available for contribution in the Asterisk docs repository.

In the future, it *may* be a possibility, but for now, commercial
distribution and derivitive works (changes) are *not* allowed at this
time. I believe these are fair requests because from a knowledge
standpoint, the community gains a tremendous amount by having freely
available, professionally edited text, and O'Reilly still retains
control of the work and distribution of the work so that it can first,
pay for the costs involved in the creation and publication of the
book, and second, to make it profitable so as to allow them to
continue creating more great books for everyone.

--
Leif Madsen - http://www.leifmadsen.com
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/asterisk