[Asterisk-Users] Sending ANI over SIP

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at digitalpath.net
Fri Oct 14 07:06:50 MST 2005

I'm running into an issue where subscribers to our service cannot call certain
1-800 numbers if they have a caller id blocked account (restrictcid=yes).

This is on Asterisk 1.0.9 and our clients are using Sipura SPA-2002's.

Our provider uses a SIP/PSTN gateway, so we hand off SIP to them from
Asterisk.

The problem appears to be that when an "Anonymous" call goes out, there is no
ANI present in the SIP INVITE.  The From: header includes just an IP address
-- as does the Contact field.

What is the _proper_ way to send ANI via SIP?  I am thinking it is
Calling-Party-ID but I'm hoping someone can verify this for me as it's not
mentioned in the RFC.

I've hacked CPID support into Asterisk 1.0.9 but our provider doesn't appear
to use it -- ie, if From is "Private" but CPID is present (with privacy=full),
1-800 numbers still fail because of lack of ANI.

My workaround would be to detect numbers which require ANI (1-8XX, 911, etc)
and ensure that the From header is always populated for these calls.

Mostly I want to find out how things are _supposed_ tow work though. :-)

Thanks for any info.

Ray

--
Ray Van Dolson