[Asterisk-Users] Which asterisk-friendly cards are fax-capable?

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Oct 13 01:37:55 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 15:55 +0800, Craig Guy wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate deployment model might be.
> Whether to have iaxmodem installed on the hylafax server with a switched
> ethernet connection for iax2 to the * server with the PRI, or to have the
> iaxmodem on the PRI * server and channel the tty comms across the network.
>
> I suspect that the latter might work ok over a WAN so I could have a central
> hylafax server with distributed * servers running iaxmodem at the far end of
> wan links (up to 100ms latency).  The only issue is that I want to retain
> rxfax on the PRI * servers for incoming faxes.

Based on the docs in iaxmodem its better to have iaxmodem on your
asterisk server and hylafax (if needed) on a remote server.  The lag
issues between iaxmodem and asterisk are more critical than hylafax and
iaxmodem.

> Lee, if I install iaxmodem on a * server for outbound faxing from hylafax,
> can I still use rxfax on the same server to receive faxes?

IAXModem works like an iax client, if you redirect calls to that
extension they goto iaxmodem if you dont they are handled elsewhere.
Treat that as just another extension for all intents and purposes.
Problems however may arise if asterisk is told to redirect all calls
with a fax tone to rxfax, so you have to deal with that in your
dialplan.

You would have to either get clever with the extension or do did based
routing ...

exten => fax,1,gotoif(something?2:3)
exten => fax,2,rxfax(somefile)
exten => fax,3,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodemExt,60,R)

Although this isnt an issue if you do did based routing and the given
did is one or the other for that context but not both.

Hope this helps (and I hope I am right, but I have been reading a lot
and think I am, I am sure lee will point out anything I got wrong)

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378