[Asterisk-Users] Which asterisk-friendly cards are fax-capable?

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at ifax.com
Wed Oct 12 20:16:26 MST 2005

"Lee Howard" <faxguy at howardsilvan.com>

> Well, part of my preference for the 2977s involves my strong dislike for
> the way that the Diva Servers and BrookTrouts do things.  It's enough of a
> dislike to get me over the learning curve of how to properly set up the
> 2977s for HylaFAX use.

I agree, there's a lot required to get the 2977s to play nicely, and in fact
to get them to play in Class 1 at all. I still have nightmares about the
time we learned the Patton was faking "rings" right on HylaFAX's 6000ms
intra-ring timer, ... thank heavens for HylaFAX's RingTimeout.

I'm curious though, in an earlier message you wrote:

"Sending is also quite  good, however, there are some quirks with the Patton
 firmware which need to be resolved for me to be completely delighted."

Are these issues you refer to just cosmetic 'nice to haves' or do they
actually impact the outbound success rate? Is the 2977's outbound in Class 1
as solid as the Mainpine or Multitech boards now? Our experience has shown
that is not the case ...

> If your favor involves V.34 then it may be a while before the relevant
> patents expire.

I know, that's a shame. Still, there will be many cases where V.34 won't be
such a major loss and IAXmodem will make sense. Can't beat the pricetag! ;-)

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson
Senior Sales & Support Engineer