[Asterisk-Users] Soekris and Asterisk

Craig Guy cguy at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 11 04:33:48 MST 2005

Hi Kristan,

The interrupt load is what I am most worried about.  At most it would be two
spans.  Echo cancellation is not required as 80% or more would be fax
traffic, the rest IVR and voicemail.

I am aware of AstLinux but unfortunately for this particular application the
Soekris OS is gonna be FreeBSD as the Soekris is primarily a router with the
PRI piggybacking.  As far as I can tell, I don't need asterisk installed,
just zaptel and libpri.  I guess I'll find out.  The major reason for this
is that I can't physically stick the PRI card in my * server (don't ask!) so
this is one of the alternatives I have dreamed up, along with setting up the
Soekris with the PRI and IAX2 trunking to the * box but I think TDMoE would
be much more efficient.  At the end of the day I might just have to get a
bigger * server to get the card in, but doing it this way would be an
interesting hack and also allows some sort of scripted failover.  Eg, if the
Soekris sees that a * server has died it can stop the zaptel service, swap
in different config files pointing to a mac address in a backup * server and
away we go :)

Craig